Monday, April 30, 2012

structure

Structure is the key that holds a better life for us all. When I got a job it was like forcibly being driven out of my head and into the real world again. With all the time on my hands I used to worry a lot and get very self absorbed, now I don't really have this problem because structure has taken over. I'm not saying this works for everybody, but I think it could work for you.

At first I was scared about the stress work might cause. Would it exacerbate my illness? What if I had an episode at work? What I realized is nowadays I'm better at taking care of myself. I know after a stressful day it's onto the skateboard to forget and refresh, or it's a call to a friend to explain my day, hear their voice, words, and compassion. It's always a good idea to have some meds on hand for a PRM dose if things get hectic though. Purchase a small pill box and keep it in your car.

Work and the structure that comes with it are essential for a person like me to continue to get better. Work is a big step toward the vision of recovery. I could have applied for a hand-out and gotten my disability, but to me work brings the structure I need, and as a consequence, a newfound stability.


No comments:

Post a Comment