Thursday, March 14, 2013

cognitive distortions

I want to say a little on cognitive distortions.

One nasty one that gets me is: magnification. You ever text somebody and say something you think was a little dumb or missed the point or whatever. yea i do it all the time, we all do. There are times when I text and I begin to think oh crap because of that they're not going to like me, they're going to think I'm dumb and not want to be my friend. Very self-conscious, yes it is what it is. However it's a cognitive distortion. No one keeps tabs on what other people say-I believe that is the norm. Chances are one moment to the next they've already forgotten what you just said. The distortion is turning it into something much bigger than what it is. I find myself as I continue texting with those thoughts in my head, and guess what once you've magnified it... you've made it into something it's not. Your future communication is going to be influenced from this distortion as you un-necessarily self-consciously meander through conversation.

Stop and get it into perspective. No one is keeping score. People have their own problems which are way to important to think about your one little goof-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment